(Also available as a pdf brochure: Catechist Formation Program_brochure)
Who is this catechist formation program for?
- Anyone involved with sharing and teaching the faith with children, youth and adults
- A parent who is trying to teach their child or teen about the faith
- A Grandparent who wants to pass on their faith to their Grandchildren
- Someone involved with the Children’s Liturgy of the Word
- Anyone responsible for Sacramental preparation in the parish
- A catechist who is working with children who are not in a Catholic school
- A teacher who teaches in a Catholic school
- A parishioner who is accompanying others through the RCIA journey
- Anyone who wishes to deepen their faith
What is our goal?
- Our ultimate goal is to nurture the faith life of adults so that they will proclaim the Gospel anew and help others discover the Good news of Jesus Christ in their own lives.
What are our objectives?
- To help us reflect upon and articulate our personal faith
- To help us grow in confidence in sharing our faith with others
- To facilitate faith formation for those involved in catechesis
- To support adult catechesis in all parishes and missions
- To assist parishes and families in the spiritual development of children and youth
What is the format of the program?
Participants can take part in the program through small group sessions, with a companion or individual study using the Echoes of Faith video series along with booklets developed by the National Conference of Catechetical Leadership. Each session includes video presentations, personal reflection, prayer and sharing on the five pillars of the foundations of our Catholic faith:
- The Creed – I Believe, We believe
- Liturgy and the Sacraments
- Catholic Morality
- Prayer and Spirituality
- Introduction to the Scriptures
The sessions on each of these pillars provides clear teaching on the basic concepts of Catholic Tradition. They are not sequential so you can begin a pillar at any time. In addition a one day retreat will be part of the process. A diocesan certificate will be given at the completion of all five modules.
What are the costs involved?
- Booklets cost $10/each, so the total cost to each participant will be $50.00.
Location for group sessions
All group sessions can be held at the Diocesan Office of Evangelization and Catechesis at the Catholic Education Conference Centre in Peace River, between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Participants are asked to bring a bag lunch, and to arrange their own transportation.
- A list of those participating will be provided upon request.
If you are unable to come to the sessions in Peace River, think about doing them in your own parish or home. Contact Sr. Louise for more info.
To register or for further information, please contact: Sr. Louise Vanderploeg, SSND Diocesan Office of Evangelization and Catechesis, 10307 – 99 Street, Peace River, AB T8S 1K1 Phone: 780 624 9211 Email: email@example.com